When considering teaching Yoga as part of your future, you might ask yourself, “why do I want to start a Yoga teacher training course? The beauty of Yoga is that your practice is constantly evolving as you progress along life’s journey. Perhaps you began as a student, flowing your way into Downward Dog and stretching into Pigeon Pose. As you expanded your practice, you became inspired to introduce others to Yoga, and you began assisting your teacher or considering teaching classes on your own. Your progression pushed you towards a desire to dive deeper, and you’re considering entering into a Yoga teacher certification program.
For many practitioners, entering a teacher training allows them to share their knowledge with others, immerse themselves even further into the practice and bond with other like-minded individuals. If you’re thinking about beginning a Yoga teacher training course, you should get clear on your motives so that you can determine whether it is an aligned way to invest your time, work, finances, and energy.
The Importance of Finding Your Why
Some of us live an entire lifetime on autopilot. Many of us live our lives going through the motions. We may not be in tune with the reasons behind our actions. The more we follow our routines, the more we forget why we do them. That leads us to lose touch with our desires. If we don’t know what we want, we can’t even begin to develop a plan for getting there. Forgetting our motivations can leave us feeling stuck. You might have the money, time, and resources to start a Yoga teacher training course, but if you aren’t sure why you’re doing it. After all, Yoga could be another activity that becomes stagnant over time. Yet, Yoga reminds us to stay in touch with ourselves. When you remain aware of your desires, you will pursue your true purpose, remain motivated and feel fulfilled.
Therefore, it’s essential to know why you want to start a Yoga teacher training course if you want to stay inspired as you see your dreams through. If you’re finding it challenging to pinpoint the reasons for starting a Yoga teacher certification program, consider the following possible motives.
• Share What You Have Learned – If you have gained a wealth of knowledge and wisdom from your teacher, you might want to pay it forward. You can customize what you share. Think about what you have learned in your Yoga classes. What did you love? What was missing? This may be your chance to provide something that is lacking in many classes in your area.
• Connect With Your Community – Most practitioners appreciate the community surrounding the practice as much as the poses. Attending a Yoga teacher training allows you to connect with compatible people in a different way than you did before. The associations that you make can provide lifelong support for you professionally and personally.
• Expand Your Knowledge – Even when you’re the teacher, you’ll learn from your students. The process of creating a class lesson plan will continue to provide more valuable lessons. Being open to ongoing learning is excellent motivation to continue studying Yoga for life.
• Empower Others – Something that many Yoga teaching certification courses don’t focus on is confidence. You’ll be leading students through all the components that are inherent to Yoga. You can also teach them how to find their own power and access their confidence, a skill that your students will have for the rest of their lives.
If your reason to start a Yoga teacher training course is deeply meaningful, you’ll have a better chance of success. Within your heart, is there a deep-rooted passion for Yoga? On the other hand, if your reasons are shallow, you won’t be in alignment with the purpose of Yoga teacher trainings.
Some reasons not to start a Yoga teacher training course are:
• To get rich quick
• To demonstrate your authority
• Your friends are doing it
These reasons don’t line up with the philosophy of Yoga. Sink deeply into your awareness, and be honest with yourself. Your contemplation, intuition and practice will lead you in the right direction. Your life journey is your choice and yours alone. The calling to teach is deep and filled with passion for the art of Yoga. During challenging times, your passion may be all you have. The point is: Anyone who pursues any field should be prepared for the ups and downs of life. The challenging times will test all of us and test our reasons for becoming a Yoga instructor.
© Copyright – Aura Wellness Center – Publications Division
Click here to see our online Yoga Nidra teacher training course.
Are you an experienced teacher looking for YACEP credits or continuing education?
52 Essential Principles of Yoga Philosophy to Deepen your Practice
by Rina Jakubowicz
A Relaxing Way to De-stress, Re-energize, and Find Balance
by: Gail Boorstein Grossman
by B.K.S. Iyengar
By Mark Stephens
To see our complete selection of affordable yoga instructor certification programs, please click on the courses and products button in the navigation bar in the upper left section of this page. See our testimonials to find out what our graduates have to say about our selection of online yoga instructor certification intensives.